Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.4 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Henry B. Hotz
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.4 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 11:26 PM -0700 8/24/98, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> That is possible. But why are fundamental things like installation
>> instructions or release notes better left as flat files? Can't quite see
>
>OK.  As long as we can generate flat too for those that can't use fancy
>stuff.  Certainly it is better than flat files if both are available for
>novices trying to get started.

My $.02.  Having just built a new server I like the fact that most packages
(gcc, apache, perl) have a top-level INSTALL and README file.  They are
flat files so you can look at them before you have installed anything.  I
like the convention.

More specifically you shouldn't have to install anything to read the
INSTALL file.